Night Games: Tackling the Issue of Balancing Sports & Academics

Zach Leonard, Junior, Staff Reporter

The most enticing sporting events are the ones that go to overtime or into extra innings. However, at the high school level, late games often make it difficult for students to fulfill their academic obligations. Students enjoy exciting games that go into overtime, but what happens when the student athletes get home after their competition ends? Many athletes have to be ready at the field to warm up at least an hour before the game starts and most sporting events span over two hours, giving participants little time to do schoolwork.

On September 25, the varsity volleyball team traveled to play Harrison. After varsity finished their competition, the JV team went on and played. After both matches concluded, the two teams took a shared bus back to Pelham. When JV and varsity rely on the same bus to get back to school, players get home at 8pm.

Senior Charlotte Krause, varsity volleyball captain, said, “I think that varsity and JV could be bussed separately to avoid a time crunch. It’s especially important for the juniors and seniors to be studious and timely with their assignments.”

Although it may be more expensive to arrange for separate transportation, it may help student athletes get home to do their school work. Similarly, cross country has the same problem. Often, races are far away on weekdays. Junior Henry Driesen, varsity cross country captain, often has to start his work several hours after the school day ends because of a late race.

“I try to shower and eat dinner as quickly as I can so I can get to work,” said Henry. “I find it hard to stay focused after meets because I’m tired, but being a junior I still have a lot of work. Those nights end up going pretty late, but I usually get all my work done.”

Contrarily, many athletes believe that playing at night can bring intensity to the game, for both the players and fans. Senior varsity soccer player Quinlan Crowley likes the mood that playing at night brings.

“I enjoy playing at night under the lights because it hypes me and my teammates up. It brings an electric atmosphere that playing in the day lacks,” explains Crowley.

Although playing at night may impact the time players have to complete school work, it can help prepare athletes for the competition.

The varsity football team has been able to find a solution to this persistent problem. Besides playing one weekday game this season, all of their other games have been scheduled for either Friday nights or over the weekend. This schedule allows the team to fit in a daily practice, allowing players for more time to do their work on school nights. However, the current schedule for the majority of fall sports forces players to get back from their games late, leaving them with little time to shower, eat dinner, and do all of their school work, while still getting enough sleep.