Pelican Footballers Take Home Colonial Cup

Patrick Gardner, Co-Sports Editor

After dealing with tough losses and the pandemic last year, the boys came to work this year, and came back with a vengeance. Heading into the last week of the regular season as an undefeated football team, it seems like this is the best combination of chemistry and talent the team has seen in several years. Win after win, interest level from students and fans rose, and the season right now is electric to say the least. And with their 35-20 victory over Eastchester on October 1, the cup is home!

Junior Alessio Johnson said, “Ever since we played in youth, one of our goals in our careers was to bring the Colonial Cup home. It almost brought me to tears after such a great win against Eastchester. Definitely a win that will stick with me for a while”.

Some of the players have only played for a few years but many have been playing since they were children. It is amazing to see how far they have come from seeing something as a dream and then achieving that dream after all.

Junior Liam Bruckner said, “I can’t believe we got it done, and I love how we got it done for our teammates who might not continue their careers after high school. As a team we’ve had our ups and downs but this is without a doubt something that we will cherish for years to come.”

Junior captain Luke Green says, “Being undefeated is truly a feeling like no other. We look to continue our winning streak, and hope to prove that we are a football school.” After clinching a home playoff game the team’s main focus right now is defeating Pelham’s long time rival, Rye, in a clash of the two undefeated teams who have both been pummeling the section.