SA Holds Annual Olympics Can Drive

SA Holds Annual Olympics Can Drive

Matt Michailoff, Co-Clubs Editor, Sophomore

With the school Olympics coming up in June, the Student Association held the annual Olympics can drive. Until February 17, students were encouraged to drop off various non-perishable items to the classrooms of their SA advisors that were get donated to a local shelter. 

Requested items included:

• Canned Food
  • Cereal
  • Rice 
  • Pasta
  • Peanut Butter

“It’s really important for students to bring things in because the organization we give to really relies on our big donations each year,” said Sienna Giussepi, sophomore class president. “This food goes to a lot of people so that they don’t have to stress about finding ways to feed their families.”

The drive counts for a large amount of Olympics points, incentivising students to donate. Olympics is known for creating a high level of competition between grades, so making the drive an Olympics event is a great way of motivating students to give back and get a head start on the competition.

“While I hope lots of people donate because it’s kind and they want to help, most people, including myself, have a competitive side that also makes us want to give as much as I can to beat other grades,” said Giussepi. “When friendly competition like this is used for such a good cause, it really gives students a reason to get more involved.”

Although Olympics was rescheduled for later in the year, the SA decided to keep the can drive at the same time it would typically be in anticipation for a March Olympics, to stay consistent with the organization they donate to. Every year, thousands of pounds of food from all four grades are donated. The seniors took first place followed by the juniors, sophomores, and freshmen respectively.