Pel Mel Recognized with Silver Crown by Columbia Scholastic Press Association

CSPA

At Columbia University’s Scholastic Press Association Awards Ceremony February 18, The Pel Mel was honored with a Silver Crown in addition to the Gold rating it had received earlier this year. CSPA cited “strong writing that demonstrates good reporting and sources” as contributing factors for the award.

Crowns are selected for overall excellence in a head-to-head comparison. Of 817 publications eligible for judging, The Pel Mel was one of only 24 school newspapers honored with this award.

During Crown consideration, publications are judged on their excellence as shown by their design, photography, concept, coverage and writing.

This is the highest ranking the newspaper has achieved in its 98-year history. The voices you hear in the 45-second video clip attached are alumni Nevan Malwana (Co-Editor-in-Chief 2020-2021) and senior Ellie O’Sullivan (Co-Editor-in-Chief 2020-2021).

Additionally, alumna and former Features Editor Lila Caminiti was awarded 2nd Place in the area of General Feature Writing for her article  “The Hidden History of Pelham” in the Columbia Gold Circle Awards. Lila currently writes for the newspaper of Northwestern University, Scene + Heard where she majors in Journalism and International Studies.