The 3,928,374th Gun Control Opinion Piece You’ll Ever Read… But Don’t Worry, There’ll Be More

Ben Koff, Staff Reporter, Sophomore

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Because, when it comes to gun control, what difference does it make what we say if it is not going to be heard. Countless people speak out about gun control, and yet there is no response. It could not be more clear that America needs to change the path that it is on, and it seems like everyday that there is another reminder of this. Recently, Robb Elementary School in Texas was met with the same preventable fate that so many other schools have faced. Still, the same reasons are given as to why the sale of guns should not be regulated: NRA lobbyists, the 2nd amendment, guns don’t kill people; people kill people, the only way to stop the bad guys with guns is with good guys with guns, bad people will find guns illegally, and the government has too much control. These are six common reasons that people say there should not be gun control.

On May 24, 2022, 19 more reasons were added to the long list of why there should be more gun control. Their names will soon be etched on gravestones. These names are now added to the long list of victims of shootings that could have been prevented through gun control. The Columbine High School shooting added 15 names to the list. The Stoneman Douglas High School shooting added 17 and the Sandy Hook Elementary School added 28 more. How many more names must there be for some sort of change to be made? Countless people have died because of people who had guns legally when the laws should have been there to stop them.

As of May 27, there have been 540 school shootings in America. That is more shootings than there are days in a year. Is this not enough for lawmakers to realize that there is a problem? With simple decisions, many of these shootings could have been prevented, but the government chooses to ignore this.

So many people’s deaths could have been prevented with simple laws to regulate the sale of firearms. It has been proven that this would work,when Bill Clinton initiated a ban on assault weapons and large-capacity magazines in 1994, the effectiveness of gun control was seen. Research conducted by Louis Klarevas while working at Columbia University showed that during Clinton’s ban the number of mass shootings in America decreased by 37%, and the number of deaths from mass shootings fell by 43%. The research went on to determine that in the next ten-year period after the ban was lifted the number of mass shootings went up by 183% and the number of deaths in mass shootings went up by 239%. This correlation cannot be overlooked.

It is evident that with restrictions on the sale of firearms the number of shootings will go down and the number of deaths from such shootings will also go down. A ban such as the one implemented by Clinton is not one that should be met with outrage. Assault weapons were made with the intent to kill in situations of war. Such weapons of mass destruction should not be handled by untrained civilians. The American government would not allow tanks to be driven down the highway by people, so why would they let other weapons of war be used inside an educational institute?

The government chooses to allow these weapons to be handled by the public because of the rights of the individual, regardless of how these rights may infringe on the lives of others. They should be focusing their attention on ensuring that the future of the world can go into their school without the concern that someone might enter the building and open fire, rather than ensuring that people have access to the guns that kill these students. But of course, why does it matter what the facts are if nobody is going to listen.

Would it really have changed anything if this article had just been “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.”