Language Departments Host International Dinner

SJ O’Connor, Co-News Editor, Sophomore

Food serves as a way of bringing people together and sharing different cultures. The International Dinner at PMHS does just this for students. Held this year on November 2 in Cafeteria C, the dinner got together students from different language classes to celebrate diverse cultures. The entry fee was a homemade main course or dessert.

The International Dinner has been a Language Department event for over 25 years. Originally started to celebrate Foreign Language Week, which takes place in March, the dinner is now hosted in November so more students can participate.

Mrs. Prignano, an Italian teacher who helped organize the dinner, said, “We encourage students to bring dishes from their cultural heritage. When you share food that is meaningful to you with someone who is unfamiliar with it, a bond inevitably forms. Besides, some of the best cooks live in Pelham. The food is always delicious!”

Once the food was served, all the language clubs performed pieces that they put together in the weeks leading up to the dinner. The French Club kicked off the entertainment with a lively sing-along to Les Champs-Elysées, followed by performances by the Spanish Club and the Italian Club. The Asian Culture Club and Latin Club both played a form of the game Jeopardy, which got many kids excited.

Sophomore Cassie Ventura said, “I think [the entertainment] really engaged everyone and made the evening more enjoyable. I was personally really entertained by the Spanish Club’s dancing.”

The International Dinner is an important tradition at PMHS that not only celebrates our students’ diversity, but provides a mouth-watering meal.

Senior Eva Perez shared, “I wish I had gone earlier than my senior year!”