Chorus and Band Bring Back Fundraising Concert

Gabby Ahitow, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The POPs concert returned this year after a three-hiatus and with a new name. The PMHS band and chorus hosted a conjoined fundraising concert on Wednesday, February 15 in the middle school gym. This concert raised money for the band and chamber chorus’ upcoming trip to Orlando, Florida to compete against other high schools in the WorldStrides competition. 

“It is a great way to experience classic music while funding a trip that is an incredible opportunity and fun time for our students,” said sophomore Kira Findikyan. 

The chorus, chamber chorus, and band all played or sang pieces that were Motown inspired to honor black history month. Think by Aretha Franklin, Dancing in the Street and I’ll be There by Jackson 5 were just a few of the songs performed.  

This fundraiser was last hosted in 2019, the same year Pelham’s music groups last traveled to compete in Orlando. WorldStrides provides educational travel experiences for schools and in particular, they have teamed up with Universal Orlando Resort to provide a musical opportunity. The band and chamber chorus will be traveling to Orlando over spring break to perform and experience the Universal theme park. 

“I am really excited to go to Orlando because it is a trip I have been looking forward to since I was a freshman and I saw people go before Covid,” said senior soprano section leader Cristina Stefanizzi. “I think it is a really great bonding experience for the chorus because it is a really unique class since all four of the grades are together, this trip is really a place for us to become better friends and make music.”