Club of the Issue: Political and Social Activism Club

Emily Kalyvas, Freshman

Although there are numerous political clubs at PMHS, the Social and Political Activism Club (SPAC) stands out. SPAC focuses on current world and local issues, and how Pelham students can make a difference through action. In meetings every Tuesday in Room 201, advisor Ms. Wasnetsky and Co-Presidents Leana Rutt and Ella Stern encourage and stimulate respectful discussions about controversial issues.

Leana Rutt said that she created the Social and Political Activism Club after noticing a change in the language used in the school, and throughout the country following the 2016 presidential election. Leana created SPAC in the hopes of making PMHS a more inclusive place and changing people’s predisposed mindsets that they cannot create change.

At every meeting, club members discuss current events respectfully and consider how students at PMHS can make their voices heard on issues that matter to them.

“It is important to be an active young member of society and advocate for what we believe in,” said SPAC member Abigail Young.

The club is hoping to plan a voter registration drive later in the year, and is already creating a campaign to combat offensive and derogatory language at school. Earlier in the year, SPAC launched a campaign promoting kindness, titled #spreadthelove, and will likely revisit the campaign soon.

This is an idea that resonates with many PMHS students. Rebecca Jacobson, a new member of SPAC, said, “I want to make a difference in our school environment, to make sure every single student feels welcome here.”