• March 8Nor'Easter Causes All Pelham Schools to Close on 3/7

• March 4Speech Team nets 11 State Championship qualifiers; 2 advance to Natl Championship @ Ft Lauderdale & 2 to Nationals in DC

• March 4Nor'Easter hits; Iona Prep loses power; PMHS takes over as last-minute host for 3/4 Speech tournament

The Pel Mel

Students Compete at Science Olympiad

PMHS Science Olympiad competitors savor the excitement of competition.

Photo by Mr. DiBello

Photo by Mr. DiBello

Dylan Nordstrom, Sophomore, Staff Writer

Pelham Memorial High School’s Science Olympiad team stirred up the competition at Byram Hills High School on February 10, competing in the Lower Hudson Valley Division C Regionals 2018 Olympiad. The team placed 8th overall out of 40 teams, led by PMHS physics teacher Mr. Joseph DiBello.

Several students found themselves in medaling positions of the Olympiad, including Sam Imperato and Dylan Gurl, who placed 5th in Thermodynamics, Julia Plourde and Dylan Gurl who placed 4th in Ecology, and Ben Glickman and Ben Hofflich who placed 5th place in Mousetrap Vehicle. Ben Glickman and Vedika Basavatia placed 4th in Towers.

Sam Imperato and Hannah McFarland placed 7th in Astronomy and 4th in Write It Do It. For the Write It Do It competition, students are given a confined amount of time in a separate room and must record random objects that are connected to each other. After their time is up, the other partner must then replicate it using only the sheet brought in.

In categories like Forensics, Vedika had to use a series of chemical and lab tests to solve a crime scene. In Anatomy and Physiology, competitors took a test to be graded.

They look forward to continuing their success in competitions while creating an even stronger bond as a team.