Sophomore Meyerson 4th in State at National History Day Competition

Courtesy of Helen Meyerson

Sophomore Helen Meyerson’s historical documentary earned her a ranking of 4th place in the state competition.

Katy Hart, Junior

The past became the present as a select few students from Pelham competed at the State National History Day (NHD) competition in April. This year’s theme was Conflict and Compromise, and through projects, documentaries and essays, students dove deep into the past to show off their research skills and knowledge. Sophomore Helen Meyerson attended the competition on March 10 at St. Thomas Aquinas College with her project and placed 1st. She moved on to place 4th at the state competition held Monday, April 23, at Fenimore Art Museum in Cooperstown.

Meyerson received a cash prize and was awarded the New York State Archives Partnership Trust Award for her expert use of primary sources. Helen’s project was a ten minute documentary titled “How New Amsterdam First Became New York: Peter Stuyvesant’s Surprising Compromise.”

This year, despite not qualifying for the national competition held in June at the University of Maryland, College Park, Meyerson is determined to compete next year with her research paper.

Helen said, “I really enjoy history and researching and NHD is a great platform to pursue my interest.”