Winter Track Season Ends in Big Way

Photo courtesy of Quincy Stern

Pelham’s Track team takes third at League Championship.

Chinemere Njoku, Photo Editor, Sophomore

The PMHS Winter track team had another successful season. Coach Scott Brown said, “The team has been and is still great. They have been competitive, and many have won medals and achieved elite status.” 

The team placed third at the League championship and Thomas Shelton (Senior) demolished the school shot put record with a throw of 53’2.5 feet.  He was league and county champion and a top qualifier for the state meet.

The team set a goal of not peaking too early, hoping to reach their best at the end of the season. Many on the team had impressive individual accomplishments. Sophomore Milan Otondi broke a high jump of 4’8″. Senior Ben Levine set an indoor 1600m record in 4:33. Senior Thomas Shelton broke the shot-put record with 52’6″, senior Teddy D’Angelo broke 5 minutes for the mile, junior Emma Van Praagh has received recruit letters, sophomore Kristin Howell set a personal record by running 55m in 6.94 seconds, sophomore Geneive Perrara set a 55m personal record in 8.23 seconds, and freshman Emma Bier running 1500m in 5:25 seconds. 

Over 50 individuals medaled throughout the season and the team has 1 all-state award, 1 all-county award, and 7 all-league awards. The track team has taken many meters short and long and exceeded expectations for the team.