Tri-M Fundraiser: The Music Honor Society of Pelham

The 13th Annual Fundraiser for Tri-M

Chinemere Njoku, Photo Editor

The Tri-M music honor society is for the music students at PMHS in band, chorus, and orchestra who participate in NYSSMA music festival. PREFORM, LEAD, AND SERVE the terms in which Tri-M stands for. Tri-M Music Honor Society chapter offers our PMHS students, is for grades 10 through 12, being in Tri-M gives the students an opportunity to serve the community, the chance to perform, and places them in leadership positions. 

The Advisor of Tri-M is Dr. Zanky the orchestra director who has been at Pelham for over 10 years teaching grades six through twelve. Tri-M is made to highlight the school and District’s music program, and with the success the music program has had over the years it can be proven that they will continue to be a strong part of PMHS, as it also helps students grow in innumerable ways.

The unique part of Tri-M chapter is that it is actually student-led, where they provide to the community by providing concerts for the town, while implementing a fundraiser for the chapter at the same time. The fundraiser was set up as a recital that featured soloists and duets like senior Audrey Levenson and Junior Emile Desmarais. Students performed music by composers such as Beethoven, Gopin, Gilbert and Sullivan, Bach, Bartok, and more. Most students performed either with a piano accompaniment, solo, or as a duet.

Pelham’s chapter of Tri-M is great in the fact that they love to give students the chance to perform in solos and duets opportunities they most likely wouldn’t get if they weren’t a part of the chapter. This year’s Fundraiser was the thirteenth annual one held, and they fundraised over 500 dollars. Dr. Zanky said, “The students performed well and represented a variety of music styles” and while all the proceeds go toward Tri-M expenses, fees, and scholarships for members participating in NYSSMA activities, music camps, and All-State the musicians are very excited about the recital and what they can gain from being a part of Tri-M every day.

“The Tri-M Music Honor Society chapter opens up a world of opportunities for students who have already shown themselves to be academically capable and musically gifted”, Zanky said when asked about the students’ development in Tri-M. The students also considered the event a success as they got to perform any music style that they chose and through performance and community service they’ll develop confidence, creativity, critical thinking, compassion, and a  host of other leadership skills sure to serve them well in school and beyond.