Layout of Bond Passes in 5-2 Vote

Layout of Bond Passes in 5-2 Vote

Johnny Liesman and Henry Morjikian, Seniors, Co-Editor-In-Chief and Co-Sports Editor

In one of the largest and most historic proposed bonds in Pelham school district history, the Board of Education is seeking massive capital improvements and renovations for the six schools in Pelham.

On March 27, the board passed the layout of the bond in a 5-2 vote and now the citizens of Pelham will be voting in a referendum on May 15 to decide if the $57.5 million bond passes. Once interest is included and state aid reimbursement is subtracted, the bond total is $70.3 million over 30 years.

The majority of this comes from the massive project to tear down and build an entirely new school for Hutchinson Elementary. Propisition One also includes accessibility and security upgrades at Prospect Hill Elementary School, renovations at the middle school and high school to provide additional classroom space, a replacement of roof and parapets on the PMHS Annex, and masonry re-pointing at Pelham Middle School. Proposition Two contains field upgrades and turfing at the Glover Field complex and maintanence at Prospect Field.

While there is a general consensus that the upgrades in Proposition One, which consist of infrastructural improvements, are all necessary, there is some disagreement between Board members as to how the issues at Hutchinson Elementary School should be addressed.

Most of the board members believe that building an entirely new school is the best option to address the current problems of the aging and poorly built building. This includes a deteriorating facade, below standard accessibility, and low-grade undersized classrooms.

But the board members in opposition believe that a new Hutchinson school is not necessary, instead supporting Option F, which would provide a massive upgrade at half the cost while keeping the old school