Foundations of Learning Begins Coffee Cart Deliveries to Teachers

Angelic Menzel

Mr. Schleifer (l) caffeinates with an afternoon cup of java from the Foundations of Learning coffee cart.

Angelic Menzel, Co-Managing Director, Senior

Foundations of Learning (FOL) has recently started sending around a coffee cart to deliver hot beverages to teachers and staff around the building who place orders with them. There are officially six members who take turns passing out coffee while learning and developing essential skills together. The students from FOL started delivering coffee in March on Mondays, Fridays, and Professional Learning days. For now, they only sell to teachers and staff, but they plan on expanding their services in the future to students who want hot chocolate.

“I like delivering the coffee and enjoy preparing it,” said Jack Golden, a student of the FOL.

It is important that students are able to have the opportunity of learning real life skills for life after high school. Small steps such as these allow for students to become more independent and comfortable with taking on new tasks. The Foundations of Learning is a specialized program which was fully implemented in the Pelham Memorial High School for the 2008-2009 school year. Students work toward alternative learning standards based upon the NYS Curriculum and their own individual differences which may include struggles with basic academic or communication skills. Essentially, the Foundations of Learning is preparing their students for their future social experiences as well as the workforce with the support of both teachers, staff and fellow students.